Monday, August 8, 2011

Something that struck me while reading was how two cities, Leonia (114-116) and Trude (128) contained references to hardware, airports, refrigerators, radios, etc. This seems anachronistic, considering Marco Polo and Kublai Khan both lived within the 13th century. Then, I noticed the titles of those two chapters. They are both categorized as “Continuous Cities.” None of the other cities (that I noticed) seemed as if they belonged in modern day society like these two did. As I thought about the misplaced items and their relationship to the title, it began to make sense. The cities are continuous because they represent both the present and the future. They are continuous through time because Marco Polo tells of them almost a thousand years before they belong. I found this particularly interesting because many other cities, specifically those in the “Cities and Memories” segments, emphasize an everlasting past that has consumed the city and became it’s present. For example, “A description of Zaira as it is today should contain all Zaira’s past. The city, however, does not tell its past, but contains it like the lines of a hand, written in the corners of the streets, the gratings of the windows, the banisters of the steps” (10-11). Calvino has created, in his city descriptions, a world where these fantastic designs can come to life. Having just read One Hundred Years of Solitude by Márquez for Spanish, I was reminded of the magic realism that creates the town of Macondo. Zobeide (45-46) was build around a common dream shared by many men trying to change an unpleasant ending. Octavia (75) is a city built upon a web of strings suspended high in the air. Cities like that (which were many) really embody magic realism and make Invisible Cities so interesting and entertaining to read.

2 comments:

  1. Your connections to Marquez are wonderful. Much of Calvino's literature can be seen as magic realism. I love the parallels.

    I think you're right about the modern cities (Leonia and Trude) being "continuous cities" that are rooted in even earlier cities. Do you think Calvino is saying anything about industrialization through these more contemporary urban environments?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think these cities (especially Leonia) are a product of industrialization. They represent real materialism and indulgence. Before industrialization, refreshing the city and everything in it would have been impossible. After mass-production and machinery, enough would be available to replenish every day. This seems to have a negative connotation in the city of Leonia. After so much waste, Calvino writes, “Leonia’s rubbish little by little would invade the world” (115). He talks about the waste covering the earth and piles of trash growing larger and higher. One of the down-sides of industrialization is that luxuries turned into common, devalued items that can be discarded with such ease. This may seem silly, but the image I got when I read this was something like in the Disney movie Wall-e, where the earth was uninhabited because humans had destroyed it with waste.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.